TITLE: Second-shift Shop Foreman – Manchester
REPORTS TO: Service Manager
The shop foreman plans, organizes, leads and controls the flow of service work through the service department in a professional and timely manner while ensuring quality repairs at a fair cost to the customer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain contact with service customers on a timely basis and in a professional manner.
- Schedule shop work as efficiently as possible in accordance with dealership policy.
- Answer service phones calls.
- Schedule appointments
- Check job status as often as necessary, but at least twice each shift. Report to customer any change in time promised and notify of any additional repairs that may be required.
- Handle routine complaints.
- Inform the service advisor before a job exceeds the initial estimate.
- Prepare a list of equipment, supplies and repairs required, and review with the service manager as needed.
- Assign work to technicians.
- Road test vehicles when necessary.
- Ensure that technicians follow warranty material disposition procedures.
- Prepare estimates when required.
- Administer safety and housekeeping policies and procedures.
- Review hard copies turned in by technicians to ensure that assigned work has been performed and the repair order has been completed properly.
- Coordinate parts requirements with the parts department on a daily basis.
- Advise service manager of repetitive parts shortages so that corrective action can be taken.
- Inspect repairs to assure quality and timely completion.
- Inspect trucks brought in for service to identify upselling opportunities.
- Communicate carefully and completely with the next shift supervisor by an agreed-upon method (notes, computer files, verbally, etc.)
- Be trained in the proper operation of forklifts.
- Must possess computer skills to open and close repair orders.
- Maintain technician training minimum requirements of Professional level for Mack & Volvo, Systems training for Western Star and Detroit and Isuzu technician training.
- Two-year technical degree preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions and information.
- At least one year of experience in a repair facility.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Commercial driver’s license required.
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and in person.
- Professional personal appearance.
The shop foreman’s duties will involve moving about the service facility on a regular basis, monitoring and inspecting work regularly. Road testing of vehicles also may be required. May be exposed to noise, vibration, dust, exhaust fumes, and other hazardous and non-hazardous materials. Required to wear a dealership uniform. May be asked to “cover” a different shift due to other employees’ vacation time, sick leave, etc.